Pilates is a comprehensive core training that challenges your physical abilities, but with focus to make you healthier, not only muscular. While Pilates training focuses on core strength, it trains the body as an integrated whole. Pilates workouts promote strength and balanced muscle development as well as flexibility and increased the range of motion for the joints.
Benefits of Pilates:
- Full body workout: Pilates trains your entire body which makes it’s a whole body workout. It’s “whole body” approach means that no muscle group is over-trained or under-trained, and the result an evenly balanced and conditioned musculature.
- Increases flexibility: Practicing Pilates regularly elongates and strengthens your muscles, makes them more elastic, and gives you a greater degree of joint mobility.
- Relieves Stress: Studies have linked Pilates to enhanced mindfulness and something called sensory awareness, which may induce relaxation, mood improvements and stress reduction.
- Burns calories: Any workout where you strengthen your muscle is going to help with weight management, as muscle burns more calories than fat.
- Pain Relief: Pilates focus on strengthening your core muscles, which can be a real help for those who are suffering from lower back pain.
Will it help you lose weight?
You lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume. Pilates, being low-impact does not mean it is easy. It works your entire body and at the same time you burn calories as part of total body workout. So yes, it will act as a catalyst in your weight loss journey but always remember that workout is just 20%, the rest 80% depends on your nutrition.
Eat right and do not miss your pilates sessions to lose weight and lead a healthy life!