Stevia is a natural sugar and sweetener substitute that is extracted from the leaves of the plant species Stevia rebaudiana. It is reportedly 100-300 times sweeter than table sugar.
And yes, stevia is extremely healthy and safe for consumption. Let’s discuss some of the many health benefits of this magical herb.
- It has zero calories, no carbohydrates and a glycemic index of zero. It is calorie free because your small intestines can’t break it down into glucose for energy so it gets flushed out in your body via urine.
- Several studies proven that stevia is rich in anti-inflammatory compounds and antioxidants that may help prevent cancer.
- It can help reduce blood sugar and blood pressure for patients with mild hypertension.
- It as an alternative for sugar, and simply avoiding sugar can have tons of health benefits of its own.
- The antibacterial and inflammatory compounds of stevia prevent bacteria from move into the mouth and around the gums, thereby hindering the formation of cavities and plaque.
- Stevia is also known to be effective in soothing an upset stomach and thus, aids in the treatment of indigestion and improves heartburn and gastrointestinal function
Excessive intake of sugar is one of the most common problems faced by those suffering from obesity and diabetes, stevia is highly recommended in such cases. People with low sugar levels, however, are recommended to not drink stevia tea as it can cause a drastic drop in their blood sugar levels.
While buying a stevia based sweetener, see to it that stevia leaf extract is listed as the primary ingredient in the ingredient label, to ensure that you are not consuming other harmful chemicals which some brands may use to extend the life of their products.
All in all, the studies conducted so far on stevia seem to show it is very safe in the amounts most of us consume. Stevia is a boon for diabetics, for that matter anyone who wants to live a healthy lifestyle.