Intermittent Fasting or IF is a simple technique that allows you to take a break from eating and fast for a certain period of time. IF is basically breaking your day up into two sections: a fasting window and eating window.
During the fasting window, you are supposed to go without food or consume only beverages that are zero calories like black coffee, green tea or water.
During your eating window, you consume your daily calories. However, it is very important to eat mostly healthy foods during your eating window.
16:8 fasting is one of the most popular Intermittent fasting strategies. Here you are supposed to eat during the 8 hour window and fast for the reaming 16 hours of the day.
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of fasting.
- When you fast for an extended period of time, insulin levels drop and human growth hormone increases gradually (usually start after 10hrs of fast).
- Intermittent Fasting Can Help You Lose Weight and Belly Fat. Intermittent fasting will make you eat fewer meals resulting in fewer calories.
- Intermittent Fasting Can Reduce Insulin Resistance, Lowering Your Risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Intermittent fasting can reduce oxidative damage and inflammation in the body. This benefits against aging and development of numerous diseases. It may also extend lifespan.
- Intermittent fasting has been shown to help prevent cancer in animal studies.
- Intermittent fasting may have important benefits for brain health. It may increase growth of new neurons and protect the brain from damage and may be protective against diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.
Intermittent fasting is simple and effective. You fast for certain number of hours per day. You give your digestive system a break. It rewards you with weight loss. It’s the simplest way to improve your health.
To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals J – Benjamin Franklin