While fruits have been always been told to be man’s best friend, not all of them are as friendly as they seem to be. Excess fructose is as bad as alcohol to the liver. As they say anything in excess is bad same is the case with excess fructose. Fructose is the type of sugar found in fruits. While anything eaten raw is perceived to be healthy fruits high on sugar make matters worse when consumed in quantities not required.
Why do we say excess fructose is bad?
1. Diabetes: Research has shown that sugar from fruits which is fructose leads to obesity and type II diabetes. Tye II diabetes a disease arising out of malfunctioning of insulin is also caused by this form of sugar.
2. Increased body fat: Fructose can only be metabolized by the liver and can’t be used for energy by your body’s cells. It thereby becomes useless for the body and can’t be metabolized for energy by the body. It is therefore not only useless for the body but also turns toxic when consumed in large quantities. The work of the liver here is to only get rid of it and keep sending it into the fat cells.
3. Non-alcoholic fatty liver: Excess fructose is bad for your liver as it leads to insulin resistance in the liver as well as non-alcoholic fatty liver.
4. AGE’s: Advanced Glycation End-Products are a result of fructose that reacts with the proteins and polyunsaturated fats 7 times more than glucose in the human body. AGE’s lead to cell oxidation which in turn result in inflammation and chronic diseases.
5. Gut bacteria: While none of the other cells in the body use fructose as a source of energy the gut bacteria can. Excess of fructose creates imbalance in the gut bacteria giving rise to a lot of pathogenic bacteria in the gut.
6. Cancer cells: Cancer cells thrive very well on fructose and can turn to be very harmful.
We would suggest people to have more of fruits which are very high on fiber like avacados, berries which also have low sugar and are act as a great fat burning tool because of their fiber content.
#Fructose #Education #Nutrition #Lifestyle