Zinc one of the most important yet neglected element in our nutrition. Zinc supplementation is something most athletes include in their supplementation plan. Zinc along with magnesium is good combo for recovery which is used by most weight training athletes. Zinc has known to have a wide range of benefits to the human body.
1. Antioxidants: Zinc acts as an antioxidant and is a part of some of the biochemically decisive reactions in the body. Protein synthesis, enzymatic action, carb metabolism etc
2. Enzyme regulation: Zinc is an essential component in a number of enzymes that help in regulating cell growth, protein synthesis, hormonal level, DNA, regulating gene transcription, energy metabolism and other related functions.
3. Common cold: Zinc helps in fighting common cold that occur as infections and can be used as a remedy to counter frequently occurring colds. When supplemented for a longer time can reduce the risk of becoming sick with these colds. Also consuming zinc while being sick can also reduce the time frame of getting better.
4. Muscle growth and repair: Zinc plays a key role in cell growth and division and hence is a great benefit to muscle growth and repair as it helps the body heal itself and maintain strength in the muscular and skeletal systems.
5. Male reproductive functions: Zinc is an important mineral for testosterone production and also the cells of the male prostate gland require a good amount of zinc concentration to function appropriately. Release of testosterone, growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), all of which build muscle mass and a healthy metabolism also requires the help of zinc.
6. Sleep improvement: Zinc plays a vital role in neurotransmitter function in order to maintain cognition. It is also essential for the metabolism of melatonin, which is a key hormone for healthy sleep.
#Nutrition #Zinc #Supplementation #Benefits