Almost every product we buy today wants to sell it as a whole grain. We suddenly have started hearing a lot about whole grains, while the concept of whole grains was practised way before the marketing guys took notice of it.
A whole grain is a grain of any cereal and pseudocereal that contains the endosperm, germ, and bran, in contrast to refined grains, which retain only the endosperm. Whole grains have a lot of benefits over the refines ones.
1. Fiber: Whole grains contain a lot more fiber than the refined grains. Whole grains contain both soluble and insoluble fibers which are essential for the human body.
2. Make you fuller: Whole grains make you feel fuller for longer than refined foods like breaks, cookies etc. Whole grains take a longer time to digest and have a more satiating effect which helps you keep full.
3. Blood sugar: Whole grains help control blood sugar level which helps control blood sugar spikes unlike processed foods which have a instant spike in your body’s blood sugar levels.
4. Resistance starch: Sometimes carbs may not be enemy they are termed to be. Finding the right kind of carbs with resistance starch which goes slowly though the system burning more fat and activating the hormones that make you feel full.
5. Pregnancy: Consuming grain products that contain folate before and during pregnancy helps prevent neural tube defects during fetal development.
#Whole #Grains #Benefits #Nutrition