One of the most common misconception in the field of nutrition is that Potatoes are fattening, which is certainly not the case and we will soon find out why with this article.
Here are some of the amazing benefits of consuming potatoes –
- If you eat potatoes regularly, you ensure a good supply of water and ions in your body.
- Potatoes are known for the large amounts of Vitamin A, B, C, and P.
- Potatoes contain water about 70-80 percent of their weight.
- Potatoes contain about 17% starch and they are one of the best natural sources of starch.
- The vitamin content includes Vitamin-C and B-complex, which helps in proper absorption of carbohydrates.
- They are easy to digest and facilitate digestion.
Quantity – 100gms
Calories – 77
Protein – 2g
Carbohydrates – 17g (out of which 0.8g Sugar and 2.2g fiber)
Fat – 0.1g
Vitamin C – 32% RDA
Vitamin B-6 – 15% RDA
Potassium – 421mg (12%)
Stop demonizing potatoes. They are extremely nutritious carb source. Make sure that you consume in moderation, because at the end of the day everything comes down to your calories intake. If you consume more calories than you burn, then you are bound to gain weight.
Given a choice, opt for sweet potatoes over white potatoes, as they provide additional vitamins and nutrients. Also, be sure to avoid fried items like French fries, which is extremely unhealthy and is loaded with bad fat and calories. In my opinion, French fries are the ones that have demonized potatoes.
Opt for healthy options, you can get a ton of recipes online to cook your potato, and yes they are super healthy and delicious at the same time.