Multivitamin is a supplement that contains more than one vitamin; but in common, a multivitamin is a supplement that contains many vitamins and essential minerals, as a form of insurance against any potential deficiencies.
Why is it important to take a Multivitamin supplement?
- Nutritional gaps are very common in general population, as most of us do not consume a balanced diet.
- Even people who consume a balanced and nutritious diets, can be prone to nutrient deficiency, as it is not always possible for most us to choose foods containing the recommended amounts of all essential micro-nutrients.
- Each and every vitamin and nutrient has specific a role to play in the optimal functioning of the human body and deficiency of one or more micro-nutrients may lead to serious health issues.
- People who are on a calorie restricted diet need to include a multivitamin to fulfill their micronutrients requirements.
- Vitamin B family deficiency is quite common, especially in vegetarians, studies have shown that taking a multivitamin rich in Vitamin B is associated with a boost in energy levels, feelings of wellbeing, as well as a decrease in stress and anxiety.
- As we age, our metabolism slows down and it gets harder for our body to absorb all the nutrients that we consume via food. Hence, it is highly recommended to start a multivitamin supplement especially for the older folks.
Unless you consume a balanced diet including loads green leafy vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, seafood etc. it is highly recommended that you take a quality multivitamin tabled daily. Make sure that the nutrition label has all the minerals and vitamins and the content of each is no more than 100% daily value (DV).
Remember, there is no harm in including a good quality multivitamin. Consider it as an insurance policy for your wellbeing.