High blood sugar occurs when your body can’t effectively transport sugar from blood into cells. And if this happens for an extended period of time, it may lead to diabetes.
We all know that prevention is always better than the cure so let’s take a look at the top 5 ways in which you can lower blood sugar level naturally-
- Exercise Regularly: Insulin is a hormone that helps people break down sugar in the body. Exercise helps increasing the insulin sensitivity in the human body, thereby helping break down the sugar for the body cells to utilize.
- Eat More Fiber: Fiber plays a significant role in blood sugar management by slowing down the rate that carbohydrates break down, and the rate that the body absorbs the resulting sugars. So include more fiber rich foods like vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes etc. in your daily diet.
- Control your Carb Intake: Carbs especially simple carbohydrates like white rice, white bread, white flour etc. are broken down into glucose, which raises blood sugar levels. Reducing the intake of such carbohydrate can help with blood sugar control.
- Hydrate yourself: Drinking enough water prevents dehydration and also helps the kidneys remove extra sugar from the body in the urine. Hence, staying hydrated can reduce blood sugar levels and help prevent diabetes.
- Portion Control: Diabetic patients are often advised to consume their daily food in small portion sizes throughout the day. Overeating in a single sitting may lead to spike in blood sugar levels. Careful control of portions can keep blood sugar levels more controlled.
Apart from diabetes, high blood sugar can cause many other ill effects, which can be sudden, such as acid buildup in the bloodstream, or occur gradually over time.
And always make sure to check with your doctor before making lifestyle changes or trying new supplements or crash diets.
Keep a healthy weight and waistline, which will help you maintain normal blood sugar levels and decrease your risk of developing diabetes