Yoga word has been derived from ‘yug’, a Sanskrit root meaning to yoke the physical body and the spirit together. Over the year’s yoga has evolved considerably and has adapted various disciplines and styles due to which many form of yoga that are prevalent today have been developed.
Thousands of studies have shown that yoga can improve every aspect of your life, from physical performance and cognitive function to personal relationships. Let’s take a look at some of the major health benefits of practicing Yoga –
- Great workout: Yoga is an excellent workout for your body. All the stretches and exercises that are done during yoga practices, are perfectly designed to increase the strength and flexibility of the body.
- Increases your blood flow: Yoga gets the blood flowing by helping in blood circulation. Yoga also boosts levels of hemoglobin and red blood cells, which carry oxygen to the tissues.
- Lowers blood sugar: In people with diabetes, yoga has been found to lower blood sugar in several ways: by lowering cortisol and adrenaline levels, encouraging weight loss, and improving sensitivity to the effects of insulin.
- Regulate metabolism to help weight loss: Due to the physical nature of the yoga exercise, it significantly helps boost your metabolism, which indirectly helps in losing weight.
- Boosts self-confidence and improves mood: Certain yoga poses help in calming the mind. It results in a reduction in depression and improved overall mood.
The best thing about yoga is that people with different body sizes, shapes, ages as well as abilities can practice it and adapt it perfectly, to fit their individual tastes and needs.
In Hinduism, Yoga is far beyond just flexing your body in a fancy studio. Yoga is a way of life that leads to liberation.
According to Gandhi, ‘the yoking of all the powers of body, mind and soul to God; it means the disciplining of the intellect, the mind, the emotions, the will, which that Yoga presupposes; it means a poise of the soul which enables one to look at life in all its aspects evenly.