Shoulder muscles are one of the most aesthetically important muscle which enhances your upper body. A perfectly muscular and rounded shoulder gives you those extra brownie points when it comes to bodybuilding.
Three major muscles found in your shoulder area include the anterior (front) deltoid, medial (side) deltoid, and posterior (back) deltoid. When putting together your shoulder workout routine, make sure you include exercises that successfully hit all three of these muscles.
Here is our list of top 5 exercises to build those boulder shoulders –
- Overhead Barbell Press: The overhead barbell press is the mainstay of any efficient shoulder workout routine and is considered by many to be the most important compound exercise for building upper body strength.
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press: The good old fashioned dumbbell shoulder press is one of the best exercises that primarily targets front and medial heads of the shoulder. You may add a little variation in the form of Dumbbell Shoulder V-press, wherein the shoulder will be targeted even more leading to more muscle growth.
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise: The lateral raise is a must-do movement for wider, more impressive delts. It primarily targets your medial deltoids. Since it’s an isolation movement, make sure that you do not hoist too much weight and compromise the form. Use a moderate weight and do it right.
- Face Pull: Face pull is one of the best exercise for often ignored posterior or rear deltoid muscle. The benefit of the face pull is the fact that it also calls the middle traps into play and incorporates some leverage, allowing you to handle more weight overall.
- Wide-Grip Barbell Upright Row: The upright row is often thought of mostly as a middle-delt exercise, but research has revealed that the wide-grip row engages the rear delts to some extent, as well. You may use the Smith machine in this case as it helps reduce unwanted stress on the back and shoulder joints.