Although alcohol is considered harmful for health, some of the alcoholic beverages, when taken in moderation, can be very beneficial for health. Red wine is one such drink. Red wine is made by crushing and fermenting dark-colored, whole grapes. The alcohol content of most red wines ranges from 12–15%.
Let’s check out some of the many health benefits of red wine:
- Good For heart: Red wine consumption is associated with an increase in HDL and lowering LDL reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. Active compounds in red wine, including polyphenols, resveratrol, and quercetin, have proved to have cardioprotective properties.
- Antioxidant: The antioxidants in red wine help counteract oxidative stress by acting as free radical scavengers that prevent and repair damage caused by oxidation. Antioxidants enhance the body’s immune defenses and lower the risk of developing several serious health conditions including cancer.
- Delays Aging: Red wine also makes the skin look younger. As per the research by Harvard Medical School, a daily dose of resveratrol helps lead a longer and healthier life.
- Reduced risk of depression: A study proved that those who drink 2-7 glasses of wine in a week have very fewer chances of having depression.
- Boosts Immunity: Red wine is rich in iron, magnesium, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. In addition, it contains active antioxidants such as proanthocyanidins and resveratrol that increase your immunity.
Studies have repeatedly shown that if the consumption is wine is moderate than it will lower the danger of many diseases.
Drinking a moderate amount of red wine is the best way to gain all the benefits of this delicious drink. The recommended dosage for red wine is not more than 1-2 glasses a day.
So next time when you plan a party with your friends and family, go for a bottle of good red wine instead of sugar-loaded soft drinks.