Pumpkin seeds are packed with calcium, magnesium, potassium and are also rich source of antioxidants and polyunsaturated & fatty acids (PUFAs).
Let’s look at some of the many scientifically proven health benefits of Pumpkin seeds –
- Boosts immunity: Pumpkin seeds play a major role in boosting the immune system function and the pumpkin seeds have more availability of Zinc in it. About one cup of pumpkin seeds will have about 7 mg zinc in it.
- Reduces Inflammation: Being a rich source of antioxidants, pumpkin seeds can reduce inflammation and protect your cells from harmful free radicals. A study on experimental rats with arthritis showed that inflammation was lessened when they were given pumpkin seed oil (PSO).
- Good for Hair Growth: Pumpkin seeds are said to contribute to hair growth with their high amounts of magnesium, zinc, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids.
- Promotes Weight Loss: Pumpkin Seeds may be useful in managing weight. It is rich in soluble and insoluble fiber that combines with water and digestive juices, giving you a feeling of fullness.
- Helps Improve Sleep: Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of magnesium. Adequate magnesium levels have also been associated with better sleep.
- Improves Fertility in men: The high zinc content of pumpkin seeds may help improve sperm quality and fertility in men. Pumpkin seeds are also high in antioxidants and other nutrients that can contribute to healthy testosterone levels and improve overall health.
Quantity – 100g
Calories – 446
Protein – 19g
Carbohydrates – 54g (out of which 18g fiber)
Fat – 19g (out of which only 3.7g is saturated fat)
Magnesium – 65% DV (Daily Value)
Iron – 18% DV
Zinc – 71% DV
Potassium – 26% DV
Bear in mind that Pumpkin seeds are high in calories and we all are very well acquainted with the concept of calories in-calories out.
You will gain weight, no matter what you eat, if you are eating more calories than you burn. The best way to include pumpkin seeds in your diet for weight loss is to have them in moderate quantity, maintaining your caloric intake.