The Paleo diet or also known as the caveman diet is a nutrient-dense whole foods diet based on eating a variety of quality meat, seafood, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds. It is based upon the idea of eating the foods our bodies were designed for, i.e. food that comes directly from nature is the best food.
The diet is relatively low in carbs but rich in lean protein, healthy fats and plant foods. These plant foods contribute all-important fiber, vitamins, minerals that your body needs.
Foods to include:
Quality meats, seafood, eggs, vegetables of all kinds, fruits of all kinds, herbs and species, healthy fats (nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocado) etc.
Foods to avoid:
All grains, most legumes, dairy products, all refined and processed foods, junk food and fast food.
Why Paleo diet?
- The Paleo diet has been proven to reduce heart disease risk by improving cardiovascular disease risk factors.
- By including the omega fats and excluding all the refined and bad oils from the diet, it reduces inflammation and restores immune regulation.
- Research has shown people on Paleo diet are less vulnerable to Cancer.
- It reverses diabetes by improving blood sugar regulation and restoring insulin sensitivity.
- By consuming nutrient dense, protein rich food, the Paleo diet promotes healthy weight loss.
To round it all up, the Paleo diet improves health by providing balanced and complete nutrition while avoiding most processed and refined foods and empty calories.
Since you won’t be consuming any form of dairy, you need to make sure that you are getting enough calcium from other food sources.
Apart from this it is very much a super healthy diet, which may suit some people. The Paleo diet is also not just a diet, it’s a lifestyle!