COVID-19 or more commonly known as the coronavirus is a highly contagious, pneumonia-causing illness that infects the respiratory tract. Like any other corona viruses, it has mainly come from animals.
Coronaviruses are zoonotic, which means they are transmitted
between animals and people.
The coronavirus affects both the young and old though old people and persons with weakened immune systems are especially at risk.
Here are our 5 tips for boosting your immune system and fighting the virus –
1. Daily Exercise: Exercise can boost your mood as well as keep you healthy.
The current situation is such that cities are being locked down, motivate yourself to workout at home. You can find plenty of home workout tutorials online.
Research has shown that daily moderate exercise reduces inflammation and supports infection-fighting cells.
2. Consume immune-boosting vitamins: Eat immunity-boosting foods like citrus fruits, garlic, broccoli, spinach, turmeric, etc.
If you are someone who has a weak immune system and is prone to frequent illnesses, start supplementing with vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, Vitamin D, Zinc, etc. You may also opt for a good multivitamin daily.
3. Sleep well: Getting a good night’s sleep is crucial for your body’s ability to recover and defend itself. If you don’t get enough sleep, your body may not be able to fend off invaders, and it may also take you longer to recover from illness.
4. Limit your alcohol intake: Drinking too much can make you feel worse and leaving your immune system more vulnerable to viruses. Studies have proven that excessive alcohol use can also impair the immune system and the body’s ability to heal itself.
5. Reduce Stress: Stress can also make a big difference for your immune system, particularly when there are disturbing news and stories all over your cellphones and televisions. Make some time for meditation or yoga or read a book to calm yourself.